Division for Communicative Disabilities and Deafness
The Organization with the Personal Touch
For information on joining the Council for Exceptional Children please see the
Online Membership Application.
The Division for Communicative Disabilities and Deafness (DCDD) is concerned with the well- being, development, and education of infants, toddlers, children, and youth with communication and learning disorders, ranging from mild to profound, and/or who are deaf or hard of hearing. DCDD aims to provide information to professionals and families regarding (a) the development of communication and learning abilities, (b) the prevention of communication and learning disorders, and (c) evidence-based assessment and intervention practices for individuals with speech, language, learning, and/or hearing difficulties.
Features: What you Get By Joining DCDD
- Access to specialized Professional Development Activities in communication disabilities and deafness
- DCDD Facebook Site Access
- Website Access: www.dcdd.us
- Journal: Communication Disorders Quarterly a quarterly research and practice publication
- Invitation to Memberfest (annual meeting of DCDD members at the CEC Convention)
Benefits of Joining DCDD and CEC
- All the Features and Benefits of CEC Membership
A Supportive Professional Development Community
- Exceptional Children research journal
- Teaching Exceptional Children practice journal
- CEC Today newsletter
- CEC online Job Board
- CEC website access
- Collaboration from multiple perspectives within special education
Opportunity for Professional Advancement
- Opportunities for annual convention and online professional development resources
- Participation in discussions with colleagues in Communicative Disabilities and Deafness
- DCDD website and Facebook access to specialized presentations, convention programs and joint committee papers
- Collaboration from multiple perspectives in language, literacy and literacy
Opportunity for Creativity
- Easy access to participation at the national level in DCDD committees
- Routine contact with DCDD leadership (phone, email, website, facebook)
- DCDD Board members sit on several national committees such as the National Joint Committee (NJCLD) on Learning Disabilities and the National Joint Committee for the Communication Needs of Persons with Severe Disabilities (NJC)
A Larger Voice for Advocacy
- Opportunity to submit presentations and poster to the national CEC convention including the DCDD program
- Postings on the DCDD Facebook page
- Theory to Practice section of journal invites members to submit articles describing application of research
- Strength in numbers. Tired of feeling isolated? Join your voice with others and be heard.
- Political action. Join forces with CEC as THE voice for special education on Capitol Hill.
- The Common Ground of Deaf Education. A place where the field can unite and work toward common goals.